DFD Bike Ambulance Project Set for Namibia in 2007!
Design For Development will take their skills to southern Africa in Summer 2007 to provide bike ambulances to villages and health clinics in rural Namibia. Working alongside locally-based health organizations and tradespeople, DFD will be manufacturing and distributing bike ambulances to regions that are in desperate need of improved emergency transportation.
The project will include:
- Establishing a manufacturing facility for the bike ambulances in Windhoek, Namibia
- Working with the community to fine tune the bike ambulance design to meet local needs and environment
- Training locals to manufacture the ambulance, with an emphasis on skill building
- Identifying and maintaining relationships with communities in need
- Manufacturing an initial run of bike ambulances
- Providing community-based training in the management and maintenance of the bike ambulances
- Distributing bike ambulances to participating communities
- Establishing a system of community-based project feedback and follow-up